What are iron-on metallic threads?
- A thread line made by Kreinik in West Virginia
- The fiber contains heat-activated adhesive—not sticky to the touch, but will stick to a surface when ironed
- Available in Kreinik Medium #16 Braid (a round thread) and 1/8" Ribbon (a flat thread).
- Available in metallic and glow-in-the-dark colors. See the choices here: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Iron-On-Threads/
What's so great about them?
- No skill required
- No sewing, stitching, counting, charting required
- As long as you're old enough to use a hot iron, you can use these threads (great for kids' summer crafts)
- Decorate scrapbooks, cards, signs, coloring books, tags, mail, mixed media, any paper (they make store-bought cards look high end)
- Embellish quilts, graduation caps, jeans, pillows, costumes, fiber art, any fabric (perfect for putting names on Christmas stockings)
- Make it look like you embroidered on birdhouses, ornaments, chalkboards, picture frames, or any wooden/hard surface (Get ready to hear, "How did you do that?")
- There's no right or wrong side to them, no "front" or "back" (twist, turn to your heart's desire)
What else do you need to know?
- You can finally use that mini craft iron you bought years ago!
- If your home iron or craft iron doesn't have a non-stick plate, put one of these on it: Kreinik's Adhesive Press Cloth. It will keep your iron clean. See how it works: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/VIDEO-Adhesive-Press-Cloth.html
- You can wash clothes decorated with iron-on threads (by hand preferred, or on Gentle) but after a few washings they may pop off. To secure, just couch them down.
How to get started?
- Get some freebie patterns and ideas, available for download here: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Iron-On-Thread-c-501/
- Watch videos or read more here: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Iron-On-Thread-c-501/
- Buy them at your favorite needlework store, online sources, or here: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Iron-On-Threads/
- Get a starter set, including a craft iron, like this: http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Quilter-Crafter-Iron-Set.html